Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Check up @ 5 weeks old

When you have 4 kids to handle, time really zoomed past without one knowing! Its 5 weeks since little fellow come to this world and we are back at the Paed for his first month check up.

When the nurse weighs him, I'm not surprise at his weight gain..almost 1.5kg given the amount of milk he is drinking! He suckled so much that my breast "muscle" ache!!

And he is still waking up 2 - 3 times for the night feed. Sometimes, I really feel like just expressing the milk and let the maid handle the night feed but I told myself that this is my last baby and I want to enjoy the body contact and everything of direct breastfeeding. Also, someone ever told me this "Why give (expressed) bottle when you can feed directly? Its fresher. And you never know if any nutrients got loss when you warm the milk."

He is a night owl too! He will sleep throughout the day and waking up only at 10pm. His eyes by then will be as BIG as marble and he can last all the way to 1am some nights! Mommy sometimes dozed off chatting with him but he will make noises to ensure I keep up with him!

He still has mild jaundice and Paed said to monitor him for another 2 weeks. If the jaundice persist, we will have to do a blood test to ensure the liver is ok. But at the meantime, no more tanning for him. Now he has to depends on his own body system to "discharge" the jaundice.

7 comments:

miche said...

i stopped worrying n stopped sunbathing him; he is tanned now. :( since his liver is ok, active and gaining weight; it is breastmilk jaundice. i think the same with your son too.

at least when he is not sleeping, u just need to chat with him. mine when not sleeping wants to latch on empty boobs! :(

Pet said...

Wow...that's a good weight gain! Yeah, baby boy tend to suck harder, I know...! Stronger the girl.

It's true, nutrient gets loss if you keep in the fridge. Don't use too hot water to warm up your milk (unless you using milk warmer, then you don't have this problem). Using hot water will destroy all the nutrients. It's also said that the longer you store the milk in the freezer, the less nutrient it will contain.

Some of my friends who has so much stock use the frozed milk (like over 2 months old) to bath their baby... milk spa! :-)

Sasha Tan said...

last one, better enjoy it with more body contact and so on. I tol dmyself too, justin will be my last one that's why i cannot stop breastfeeding him. haha gila edi!

Angeline said...

I hope the Jaundice thing is not worrying you too much. I don't know if yours is breastmilk-jaundice....

Binbin had breastmilk-jaundice and it lasted for 2months+, no sunbathing works, its up to the baby, as to how fast he can develop his system to accept what goes into this tummy...

Leona said...

I never really had the chance to breastfeed my Ryan when he was a baby... he was too 'sotong' to latch on to my breast! haha!
IF can, breatfeed as long as possible directly ... since u said last baby already . Won't get that bonding again...

Moomykin said...

Myron is now 3 months old, but poor baby had prolonged jaundice too, and poor thing had to go through a blood test everyday for 4 days.

Now I am sure that he has nightmares of needles poking him as he sometimes cry like how he did in the hospital in the middle of his sleep.

Hope your baby is all ok now.

Blessed mum said...

thanks everyone for your concern. Baby Ryan's jaundice had since gone. I think his is breastmilk jaundice.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs